Thursday, November 20, 2008

Evangelicals stop using the government to try to impose their beliefs and morals on others.

Mike Lawrence, a friend from when we taught together, picks up on a Cal Thomas column.  I usually find Cal Thomas offensive at best but it is fun to watch conservatives point fingers and say whose fault the destruction of their party is.

Mike who teaches constitutional law and know what he is talking about says Thomas is at least partly right although I am not sure Thomas would agree with this:

Stated another way, with respect to the requirements of the U.S. Constitution, Thomas is exactly right in his conclusion (regardless of how he comes to it) that evangelicals should look to methods outside of government. The very basis for the founding of the United States was to take away from government the power to try to impose morality on the people. The Declaration of Independence claims freedom for the people; and the Constitution provides the guarantee.

The CHRISTIAN ANTI DEFAMATION COMMISSION ON CAL THOMAS can be seen here and Thomas' response too.

CALS RESPONSE TO THIS ARTICLE:

Actually, I write the column so I have standing with my peers and might be a witness to them. I am under no illusion that I will convert any to my point of view, much less my faith. Don't presume motives without asking.
Have heard from many pastors and a room full of believers in Memphis tonight who ascribe wholeheartedly to this message. I know, you think THEY are the problem and if they would only signoff on Christian political activism America would be saved. I used to argue the same thing at Moral Majority. It was futile..
And what's with the Christian anti-defamation League when Jesus said if they persecuted Him, they will persecute us. If you won't believe Scripture, read the exit polls. We are losing the next generation because we are still stuck in the 60s and a Cold War mentality.

I am NOT calling for disarmament, but rearmamant with God's weapons that we might "tear down strongholds." Which Republican will you attach your faith and hope to next to usher in the Kingdom of God? You liked Reagan, right? He raised taxes, signed an amnesty bill for illegals and gave us three Justices who voted to uphold Roe vs, Wade. That worked out well, didn't it? 

No comments: